Elements provides family support, counselling and consultation social work services. We believe that every client and their family is entitled to emotional, psychological and practical support following an acquired brain injury or diagnosis of a neurological condition. Elements community based social work services assists and empowers the clients and their families to enhance their wellbeing and improve the quality of their lives.
- We can provide a comprehensive assessment, looking at the needs and goals of the client/family
- We can provide consultation and collaborate with the team of professionals to support the client’s increased community re-integration and socialization as well as the connection to community resources for the family.
- We provide counselling or emotional support to assist clients and their families to cope and manage the many facets of life that can be affected post injury/diagnosis.
What is social work?
“Social work is a profession concerned with helping individuals, families, groups and communities to enhance their individual and collective well-being. It aims to help people develop their skills and their ability to use their own resources and those of the community to resolve problems. Social work is concerned with individual and personal problems but also with broader social issues such as poverty, unemployment and family discord” (Canadian Association of Social Workers)
Our Social Work Team can assist with the emotional, psychological and practical challenges faced by clients and families following an acquired brain injury or diagnosis of a neurological condition.
What we do at Elements Social Work Services
The goal of social work intervention is to promote and maximize the emotional and psychological health and well-being of the client and family in tandem with the medical, rehabilitative and therapeutic professionals involved.
Social Workers are available to assist clients and families through their rehabilitation journey; providing support and practical assistance whilst advocating for the emotional and social needs of clients and families, by providing:
- Comprehensive psychosocial assessments with clients and families aimed at identifying pre-injury interests, significant relationships, leisure/sporting activities, financial/practical matters and accommodation situations prior to the clients injury and how these have been impacted upon post injury. This enables the social work team to work collaboratively with the rehabilitation team, clients and their families when identifying needs and goals to work towards in terms of ongoing emotional, psychological and practical support as part of a person’s ongoing rehabilitation program
- Counselling and support for clients and their families post acquired brain injury particularly in relation to issues of adjustment, grief and loss, feelings of self-concept and confidence, relationship and lifestyle changes, career strain and sexuality post injury
- Identification of and assistance with community re-integration and socialization post injury including assisting clients and families with identifying and re-establishing meaningful connections with community activities and interest as well as re-establishing purposeful and meaningful relationships post injury
- Provision of information, liaison with and assistance with referrals/accessing community support services
- Exploration of respite support options including in-home, over-night or residential based respite
The Social Workers at Elements Support Services are members in good standings and adhere to the code of ethics and practices established through the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Services Workers and the Ontario Association of Social Workers. Our social workers have specialized training in clinical community practice.
If we can be of assistance please contact our Director of Social Work Services, Lisa Benrubi by calling our office at 905-393-5724.